Writing Center Ready For War (With Words)

Marx+Library.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Marx Library.

Marx Library.

Jake Cannon

Marx Library.

Jake Cannon

Jake Cannon

Marx Library.

Richard Narramore, Life Editor

The Writing Center is an instructional facility where peers help students become better writers. With its two locations, one at Marx Library 240A and the other in the Academic Support Center, students can receive help with any written assignment. Appointments can be made online but walk-ins are also welcome.

Frank Ard, The Writing Center manager, welcomes all students to come and receive help. Ard warns that as the semester goes on, walk ins may not be accepted  and appointments become booked quickly.

The Writing Center helps approximately 2,500 students in both the spring and fall semester, and about 1,000 students during the summer. Ard says that even though they mostly receive freshmen and sophomores, the writing center will  assist all levels of students, including graduates.

The Writing Center can assist with any writing assignment. They help students with grammar mistakes, brainstorming ideas, understanding the prompt and outlines.

When asked what students struggle with the most, Ard responded by saying organization and logic. He continued on to say that a lot of students have difficulties making their writing flow or make sense. Ard added that many students come in thinking the big problem is grammatical issues when it is actually the big picture things such as cohesiveness.   

Senior Dru McCleave, mathematics major, has worked at The Writing Center as a consultant since August. McCleave said that he helps students with all types of assignments ranging from public speaking outlines to business project proposals.

When assisting students, McCleave says that he tries to focus on helping students with the writing process the most. He hopes to help students become better writers overall.

McCleave said his favorite part of working with students in the one-on-one engagement.

“You’re working one-on-one with someone, and you get to really see them grow,” McCleave said. “You get to watch them have that lightbulb moment that you just don’t get with a full class,”

McCleave added that when students make appointments online, they can see who is working. When a student likes a particular consultant, they can make arrangements to receive help from that person in the future.

For any student interested in working for The Writing Center, Ard says they require applicants to at least be a junior and submit a writing sample. He added that most workers they hire are graduate students. To apply email Frank Ard at [email protected]  

The Academic Support Center location is open Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-6 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

The Library location is open Monday-Thursday 12 p.m.-6 p.m.
Students can schedule an appointment by calling (251) 460-6480 or by going online to http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/academicsuccess/writing/