USA football attends Sun Belt Media Day

Ryann+Guy+and+William+Chandler+interview+the+Commissioner+of+the+Sun+Belt+Conference+Karl+Benson.+
Ryann Guy and William Chandler interview the Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference Karl Benson.

Photo courtesy of William Chandler

Photo courtesy of William Chandler

Ryann Guy, Sports Reporter

The annual Sun Belt Media Day took place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, La., July 24th.  A traditional ceremony, Fais-Do-Do was held the night before media day at Oaks Mansion in Mardi Gras World. According to those who have attended previous Sun Belt Media Days, both events were more extravagant than previous years.    The Fais-Do-Do saying is an old Cajun-influenced saying that came about before WWII.  It was a code phrase for putting the kids to bed so the adults can go out. As for the event, attire was business casual but served five-star worthy food and plenty of beverages. It held a true New Orleans atmosphere.

Monday morning, Sun Belt Media Day kicked off with steak, potatoes, and eggs before a State of The Conference speech from the conference commissioner, Karl Benson. His words stuck throughout the day as he stressed the expansion of the Sun Belt conference adding Coastal Carolina and the improvement of talent within each program. Benson previously spoke about the Sun Belt Conference as the future. This year, he believes it is the future and the Sun Belt conference can compete alongside SEC and Big 12 teams. He credited specific wins from the 2016 season like, South Alabama beating Mississippi State and San Diego State.

The College Football Playoff COO Michael Kelly, Sun Belt Coordinator of Officials Steve Shaw, and a Sun Belt Athletic Director also attended media day. All conference affiliates participated in radio interviews throughout the day.

During the press conferences, a head coach and two student-athletes from each of the 12 teams attended a scheduled interview where they discussed new players, changes, and what to look forward to for the upcoming season.

Head coach Joey Jones brought with him returning quarterback Dallas Davis and senior safety Jeremy Reeves. Jones mentioned that as of now, Davis will continue as the starting quarterback for the 2017 season. Davis missed spring season practice due to a shoulder injury. However, he says he has had plenty of time to recover and feels great. Reeves will continue to be a key player on the field and a leader on the team. He hopes to be a 2018 NFL Draft prospect.

The Jags first game of the season will be at Ole Miss on Sept. 2. Their home opener will be the following week against Oklahoma State Sept. 8. For more information about USA Football or any other Jaguar sports, visit www.usajaguars.com.