Men’s basketball season starting recap

The Jags intend to face the (2-2) Stetson Hatters at the Mitchell Center on Wednesday, Nov. 22

Briana Cunninham

Briana Cunninham

Charles Harrison, Reporter

The 2017-2018 Men’s Basketball season is off to a rocky start going (2-2) with big losses coming to the Texas Tech Red Raiders, La Salle Explorers early on.

The Jaguars have struggled to get traction early this season following a tough loss to Texas Tech on Friday, Nov. 10 the Jaguars returned home the following Monday, Nov. 13 to face off with the University of Mobile Rams.

The young Jaguars team struggled in the first half of the UM game despite being heavily favored to win. The Jags only managed to outscore the Rams by four while they shot below 50 percent in all categories but free throws, letting the Rams snatch up 14 rebounds.

The second half of the game against Mobile was starkly different from the first with the Jags scoring 10 unanswered points in the opening three minutes the Jags were able to quickly pull away from the Rams The Jaguars went 13-22 shooting field goals as they outscored the Rams 42-24 in the second half setting up a 71-49 win in their first home of the year.

The Jaguars then went back on the road for their third game of the regular season to face the La Salle Explorers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. La Salle exploded at the start pulling ahead to a 10-0 lead after five minutes that the Jags would spend the rest of the game struggling to erase. Once again in the first half shooting appeared to be one of the Jags larger problems with the field goal percentage at 40.7 percent, and the three point shots at 30 percent the Jaguar offense seemed anemic early as La Salle climbed to a 47-27 lead at the half.

The Jaguars once again found their feet in an effort lead mainly by sophomore guard Jordan Andrews and sophomore Trhae Mitchell paving the way for the jags to turn a 20-point deficit at the half to a close five point lead with a little over two minutes to go. Despite outscoring the Explorers 46-34 and shooting above 50 percent in every category the Jags were not able to pull through with a win. With the Explorers hitting a three point shot with only 1:04 to go on the clock they were able to seal the second Jaguar loss of the season.

The Jags refused to dwell on the loss long traveling to Uncasville, Connecticut for a dominating win against the University of Maine Black Bears. The Jaguars lead this game with solid defensive play. With 16 defensive rebounds and seven turnovers the Jaguars were able to get out to an early lead that only grew as the game went on. The Jags also leaned heavily on sophomore forward Josh Ajayi as he posted one of his better performances this season going 6-10 shooting field goals and pulled down three of the Jags 20 total first half rebounds. The Jaguars continued to keep Maine under their thumb in the second half outscoring the (0-3) Black Bears 32-20 to set up a much needed 68-46 win for the Jaguars.  

The Jaguars plan to return home next week to start the first of three straight home games. The Jags intend to face the (2-2) Stetson Hatters at the Mitchell Center on Wednesday, Nov. 22. They then plan to play games against the New Orleans Privateers and The Southern Mississippi University Golden Eagles before heading back on the road to face Florida International University on Dec. 1. For more information about Jaguar Athletics go to USAJaguars.com.