Filed under Opinion

USA professor gives 50 tips to improve your life

1. Live life by the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you or do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.”
  2. Honesty and integrity are always the best policy.
  3. In all things, the Golden Mean (moderation) is best.
  4. Maintain an optimistic outlook—hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
  5. Live life as if every day was your last; in this way, you live a purposeful, meaningful life.
  6. Be grateful for what you have, and never stop striving to make a difference in the world.
  7. Learn how to control your ego and practice humility. On that note, be respectful and kind to everyone you meet. You never know who will be in a position to help or hurt you in the future.
  8. Develop empathy and forgiveness. Harboring grudges and letting them fester will contribute to stress and ultimately hurt you more than others.
  9. Set realistic life goals and visualize a successful, happy career. This all helps you avoid disappointment, frustration and most importantly stress.
  10. Do your very best when you assume responsibility. Never discriminate, but strive to be honest, trustworthy and just.
  11. Be enthusiastic, sensible, pragmatic and adaptable in all endeavors.
  12. Develop the virtue of patience. It will serve you well throughout the roller-coaster ride of life.
  13. Carry yourself with confidence and dignity and speak with self-assurance.
  14. Establish practical and achievable short-term goals and make every effort to accomplish them. Make a to-do list each and every day and carry it wherever you go. Keep a small pencil in your pocket to adjust the to-do list as you add or cross out items.
  15. Schedule down time to unwind, relax and do something you enjoy.
  16. Keep a time log for at least one week to examine how your time is spent. Use those findings to manage your time more effectively.
  17. Budget and spend your money wisely. Remember: “A fool and his money are soon parted.”
  18. Beware of time-wasters (such as talking on the phone, surfing the Internet, streaming videos, playing video games, watching television, shopping, partying, etc.). Also, have the courage and confidence to say “NO,” especially to activities that interfere with your priorities.
  19. Streamline old habits by getting rid of activities, things and individuals that bring you down because they can often be more of a liability than an asset.
  20. Do not be an obsessive perfectionist. As human beings, we are imperfect and fallible.
  21. Learn from mistakes. Analyze why they happen and learn from them. Allow setbacks to contribute to your wisdom, which helps you in the long odyssey of life. The problems and failures that inevitably emerge are part of your education and will remain indelibly etched in your mind for the rest of your life, contributing to your wisdom.
  22. Maintain a healthy diet. Have a light lunch because a heavy lunch makes you sleepy, making it difficult to read or memorize information. Eat foods rich in whole grains, vitamins and minerals, such as fruits, nuts and vegetables. Portion control will prevent you from consuming too many calories.
  23. Avoid energy drinks, coffee and other highly-caffeinated beverages. While providing momentary energy, they result in a “crash” one or two hours later. It is also advisable to drink at least eight 12-ounce servings of water and take a multivitamin every day.
  24. Reserve 20-30 minutes for exercising daily. Research shows that exercise increases strength, flexibility and stamina; controls your weight; reduces anxiety and depression; improves the quality of your sleep; and increases your chances of living a long and healthy life. Unlike caffeine, exercise provides sustained energy.
  25. Cultivate the vitally important art of networking/socializing in order to build connections that may help in your future.
  26. Give a close, nearby friend an extra key to your car and apartment/home.
  27. Follow local, national and international news in print, radio, television and on social media. You will be more informed and respected.
  28. Think before speaking. Wise people think before they speak, while fools speak before they think Remember: “Silence is golden, while speech is silver.”
  29. Control what you say or send when angry or depressed because it can never be taken back and could come back to haunt you.
  30. Don’t be a rumor-monger. You will be distrusted and disliked, ending up with virtually no friends.
  31. Expand your social network to include people from diverse cultural backgrounds and learn about their countries, cultures and religions. This will help you become more enlightened.
  32. Look, dress and comport yourself appropriately in public.
  33. Cultivate effective listening skills, which entails paying careful attention to both verbal and non-verbal cues. It is not merely hearing what someone says. There is a reason why we have two ears and only one mouth. Each person can teach you something.
  34. Develop analytical and critical thinking skills. They are vitally important to every part of your life.
  35. Sleep at least seven hours each night. A proper amount of rest will lead to more energy and help your mind stay sharp. But, most importantly, it contributes to a longer, healthier life.
  36. If you feel fatigued during the day, take a 15-20- minute power nap. It will refresh and rejuvenate you to take on the rest of the day enthusiastically.
  37. Try to smile when you meet or pass people. It is a positive, reassuring gesture of goodwill.
  38. Don’t waste time worrying about things you cannot change. Instead, direct your time, attention and energy to constructive pursuits in the present.
  39. Negativity, anger, hate and envy can be toxic. Be thankful for what you have and strive harder to make a difference in people’s lives.
  40. Winning every argument is not possible. Agree to disagree without being disagreeable.
  41. No one is responsible for your happiness but you. Therefore, try your best to have a positive mindset every day.
  42. Stay close to your family. They are your support and will always be there for you.
  43. Spend quality time listening and learning from your elders. Due to their numerous experiences, they are often repositories of wisdom.
  44. No matter how bad, the current situation will pass. During difficult times, do not exaggerate or magnify its impact on your life; doing so will simply depress you.
  45. If you feel sad or discouraged, discuss your problems with family, close friends, or a counselor (secular or religious).
  46. Learn that time is vitally important. Once it has slipped by, it will never come back. In fact, many say “time is money.”
  47. Take responsibility for your actions and apologize when appropriate—you can’t always be right.
  48. Be curious, cultivate an insatiable appetite for acquiring information and knowledge, and become a lifelong learner. In due course, knowledge often translates into money, respect and influence.
  49. See mistakes as opportunities to enhance such virtues as introspection, creativity, humility, patience and wisdom.
  50. It is good to be confident and independent. However, when your need assistance, never hesitate to seek help from those more knowledgeable and competent than you. It will save you time, stress and money.

1 Comment

One Response to “USA professor gives 50 tips to improve your life”

1. Luke on February 12th, 2018 6:05 am

Awesome tips…

[Reply]