Filed under News, Uncategorized

Are security cameras keeping you safe?

There+are+more+than+700+security+cameras+on%0Acampus%2C+according+to+Zeke+Aull.+
There are more than 700 security cameras on
campus, according to Zeke Aull.

There are more than 700 security cameras on campus, according to Zeke Aull.

Briana Cunningham

Briana Cunningham

Despite what television may lead you to believe, security cameras are only one of the tools that police rely on to solve crimes, according to Zeke Aull, chief of the University of South Alabama Police.

“What [mainly helps] us is information from the victim and information from the public,” Aull said. “When you put that all together, that is what solves crime. What works is not just cameras, but a combined effort of police, information from the public and technology. We have our saying, ‘If you say something, do something.’ It used to be, ‘If you see something, say something,’ but we changed that, because that is what stops crime: getting the community involved.”

“A camera is a camera,” Aull said. “You can only see what it sees.”

Aull cited television as overstating security camera capabilities.

“What you see on some of the TV shows, when they pan and zoom and can move, that’s just not accurate,” Aull said. “I think we often get mixed up on what is television and what is reality.”

Despite cameras only being a part of what solves crime, USA is committed to placing cameras all around campus.

“We have over 700 cameras on campus and we’re adding more,” Aull said. “We’re always seeking to install and use our technology the best we can with the money that is available. We utilize our cameras and we put them up in places where they’re going to be helpful. We’re expanding our cameras now, and I think that [people] are going to start seeing more cameras around residence halls coming soon. We have other cameras at the entrances to campus that were recently completed around the first of the year.”

The best way to stay safe on campus is to be aware, according to Aull.

“I’m not saying we have a dangerous campus,” Aull said, “but I don’t want students and faculty to get lax. You need to always have a mind-set of what your surroundings are. If you see something suspicious, it probably is. Use your LiveSafe mobile safety app or call the police department, and say ‘Hey, look, this just doesn’t look right.’ Don’t just rely on a camera.”

In order to contact the University of South Alabama Police Department, call 251-460-6312 or text 251-219-0219. The LiveSafe Mobile safety app is free and available in the app store.