Filed under News, Showcase

USA trauma center receives funds to expand

+Herbert+A.+Meisler+has+donated+%245+million+to+expand+the+USA+Medical+Center%E2%80%99s+Trauma%0D%0ACenter%2C+which+will+be+renamed+the+Fanny+R.+Meisler+Trauma+Center.+Photo+courtesy+of+USA%0D%0AMarketing+and+Communication.
 Herbert A. Meisler has donated $5 million to expand the USA Medical Center’s Trauma
Center, which will be renamed the Fanny R. Meisler Trauma Center. Photo courtesy of USA
Marketing and Communication.

Herbert A. Meisler has donated $5 million to expand the USA Medical Center’s Trauma Center, which will be renamed the Fanny R. Meisler Trauma Center. Photo courtesy of USA Marketing and Communication.

unknown

unknown

Bert Meisler donated $5 million dollars to the expansion of the University of South Alabama Medical Center’s Trauma Center. The trauma center will be renamed to Fanny R. Meisler Trauma Center, in honor of Meisler’s late wife. This donation comes after Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey’s $4 million in grant from an economic bond issued to USA Medical Center.

“The USA Medical Center serves thousands of people each year and saves the lives of our citizens every day,” Meisler said in a press release. “The expansion of its Level 1 trauma center — the only one of its kind in the region—is vitally important to our community. I am so pleased to be able to give back to the University of South Alabama and to the USA Health system in this way.”

Dr. John Marymont, vice president for medical affairs and dean of USA’s College of Medicine, said in a press release, “Mr. Meisler’s generous gift is the capstone of a partnership with the state and USA Health that will transform trauma care in this region, enhance economic development and provide future emergency medicine physicians for Alabama.”

The expansion will more than double the size of the current USA trauma center and allow USA medical center to meet the Mobile community’s needs better, according to USA Hospital Administrator Sam Dean.

“This will allow us to have a facility that matches the care we are providing each and every day,” said Dean.

There is not an official timeline for the project as of now, but Dean was hopeful they would break ground by the end of 2018.

This would also allow for USA Medical Center to begin its ER residency program and produce certified emergency physicians for not only the Mobile community, but the state in whole, according to Dean.

The USA board of trustees announced the donation at their meeting on Friday, March 1. Chair Pro Tempore Kenneth Simmon gave Meisler a framed copy of a resolution to rename the Trauma Center.

“One reason that our students have the most support this community can give them is because of the generosity of people like Bert Meisler,” Simon said.

“We are honored to receive this generous contribution to the USA Medical Center from Mr. Meisler,” USA President Dr. Tony Waldrop said in a press release. “He has shown a deep commitment to the University and to USA Health for many years, and his latest investment in the Fanny R. Meisler Trauma Center is truly transformational for the state and the region.”

1 Comment

One Response to “USA trauma center receives funds to expand”

1. Sonya on March 5th, 2018 4:41 pm

Great article

• News

Tropical Storm Gordon Approaches Gulf Coast

• USA trauma center receives funds to expand

Changes to Pell Grant announced

Pride Fest takes over Cooper Riverside Park

USA bookstore vendor change

Starbucks on USA campus to remain open May 29