Filed under News, Showcase

Parking tags phasing out

Briana+Cunningham
Briana Cunningham

Briana Cunningham

Briana Cunningham

License Plate Recognition will change the way parking is enforced on campus, according to the University of South Alabama Police Chief Zeke Aull.

“Next year, instead of having students that write tickets for us, we’ll have cameras mounted on cars,” Aull said. “ We’ll drive through the parking lot and we’ll be able to geofence them. If a vehicle is parked outside its zone, then LPR will notify us. The hangtag system will slowly be phased out.”

Aull said LPR monitoring the parking lot could benefit students.

“Let’s say you drive your car or your mother’s car, something like that. You’ll be able to have two different license plates in the system,” Aull said. “Now, you can only drive one on campus at a time, but LPR will know that both are registered to you. So, not only will it help parking enforcement, but it will also be a benefit for students, so that they don’t have to get a temporary permit.”

LPR Technology has been in use at  USA since last year. Aull said LPR was first installed at all entrances of USA’s campus. With LPR at every entrance, a picture is taken of every license plate, which is recorded in the system, said Aull. Placing LPR technology cost between $12,000-$20,000, according to Aull.

LPR helps the police monitor the USA campus and ensure safety, according to Aull.

“If we have a known individual that has been banned from campus driving a known vehicle with a license plate, we’re able to key in that information into our system,” Aull said. “So, the next time that individual comes onto campus, we can put a warrant out for their arrest and dispatch officers to stop him. We’ve already had individuals that have been caught and arrested with this.”

LPR is on other college campuses as well, and in a few surprising places.

“It’s in places that you wouldn’t even recognize,” Aull said. “The interstate has them; Mobile City Police has them around in certain places.”

Chief Aull said he was excited about the new technology and keeping the campus safety.