Filed under News

Students thank USAF

USAF+helps+to+fund+academic+programs+and+research.+
USAF helps to fund academic programs and research.

Kenyan Carter

Kenyan Carter

Students with research assistantships thanked the University of South Alabama Foundation for their financial support at the USAF meeting last Thursday.

According to the USAF website, the board has provided more than $168 million in support of the University for scholarships, faculty support and academic programs through December 2017. $217,550 of that went to USAF research fellowships and graduate assistantship stipend support.

Bethany Jones, a graduate speech pathology and audiology student at USA, expressed her gratitude to the USAF.

“Something I wanted to just thank you all for today is the wellrounded experience I’m getting,” Jones said. “Your contributions and the work you do is the reason I’m in Mobile and the reason I’m at South Alabama.”

Jones explained that her assistantship gave her an opportunity at unique collaborative projects with speech pathology and audiology, giving her a more comprehensive experience. Jones has worked on projects such as evoked potentials, the study of brain activity when exposed to certain stimuli, and the effects tobacco and diabetes has on hearing.

Craig Browning, a USA engineering doctoral student, was also grateful for the support of the USAF. Through his assistantship, Browning has been working with the USA’s College of Medicine to create devices that can more efficiently detect colon cancer.

“I never realized research was something I was passionate about.” Browning said. “The funding sources and the people that support us, it’s definitely because of them that I’ve found my calling.”

Ken O. Simon, attorney and chair pro tempore of the USA board of trustees, expressed his support of research funding. “It [research] can enhance a student’s opportunity for employment and continuing their academic advancement,” Simon said. “It, of course, filters down to the undergraduates as well…. For example, and you see just how important getting students involved in research at the undergrad and graduate level, along with the faculty, is really helpful in terms of recruiting great students and enhancing the University’s reputation.”

The USAF board is scheduled to hold its next meeting on Thursday, June 14.