Filed under News, Showcase

SGA seeks new applicants

Back to Article
Back to Article

SGA seeks new applicants

SGA applications open on March 2 and close on March 16 at noon.

Shannon Lundgren

Shannon Lundgren

Shannon Lundgren

Campaign season is on the horizon for SGA hopefuls. Applications opened up on March 2 and close March 16 at noon.

To apply for a senate position, students must have a 2.0 GPA and be a sophomore by the end of the spring semester.

Students may only run for a senate seat in the college they are enrolled in.

Students interested in applying for an officer position must have a 2.5 GPA and have taken at least 44 credits at USA.

Additionally, potential candidates must apply via Orgsync.

There will be a mandatory candidate meeting at 5:30 p.m. on March 16. in the Student Center room 203. After the meeting, SGA will approve physical campaign advertisements.

Candidates may begin their campaigns immediately after the meeting.

SGA President Carl Thomas Jr. said campaigning was a lot of work and advised SGA hopefuls to strategize.

“Someone interested in running should be building their platform, working on their elevator speech, organizing a visiting schedule, recruiting a campaign team, taking campaign pictures and more,” Thomas said.

SGA Vice President Elizabeth Hernandez cautioned students who were thinking of running for office and advised them to look at their upcoming academic year.

“Will you be solely committed to SGA or will you be working on research, an internship, working, volunteering, other leadership roles or taking 18 credit hours?” Hernandez said.

Hernandez advised those interested in applying for an SGA position to attend a SGA meeting to experience what it is like and speak to the person in the position they are interested in to see what the job entails.

Hernandez continued on to stress the importance of being committed.

“It is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of responsibility you are taking on, but you cannot just quit because you made a commitment to this job,” Hernandez said.

Thomas and Hernandez said SGA was a wonderful experience and important learning opportunity.

“I’ve learned to stay focused,” Thomas said. “Listen to the voices that matter. People never really know the journey until they step into your shoes.”

Thomas said some of his favorite memories and experiences come from student interactions around campus.

“Those little moments are best,” Thomas said. “I also enjoy speaking to high schools with our ‘SGA Visits’ initiative. Students interested in running for office can apply on orgsync at orgsync.com/102347/forms/309669.

If you do not have an account, you will be required to make one before applying.

“For anyone who wants to run for SGA I say be prepared, be honest, be positive, and be the voice,” Thomas said.