Filed under Life

Coastal Venture Competition returns to USA

If+you+have+an+idea%2C+you+can+submit+it+to+the+Coastal+Venture+Competition+for+a+chance+to+win+a+%244%2C000+grant.+
If you have an idea, you can submit it to the Coastal Venture Competition for a chance to win a $4,000 grant.

Briana Cunningham

Briana Cunningham

The Melton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation is currently accepting candidates for its third annual Coastal Venture Competition in April. Applications for the competition are due March 28.

The Coastal Venture Competition allows student entrepreneurs to display their business ideas to a panel of judges, with a chance of winning money to fund their business idea, according to MCEI page on USA’s website.

This competition is a two-part contest consisting of a video and live presentation segment. MCEI gives away a total of $12,000 to the winning entrepreneurs. The grand prize winner receives a $4,000 grant. Kobi Bell, USA business major and the 2017 grand prize winner , presented a family-focused fitness center created to provide classes parents can take with their children called Focus.

Bell shared a few tips that lead to her win.

“To the competitors this year, make sure you don’t leave any stones unturned,” Bell stated. “Refine every detail of your plan and make sure you show the judges this is something you’re committed to.

Bell emphasized the importance of being prepared and knowing everything about your business.

“The hardest part of the competition was, ironically, the part that made me stand out most,” Bell stated. “Due to a glitch in the computer, my presentation couldn’t be pulled up for several minutes. In that time, the judges had the opportunity to grill me with every question they could think of. I think this really was the “make or break” point of my time in front of them. In hindsight, had I not been so prepared this would have been the moment in which they would have seen right through me. Anything can happen and being able to roll with the punches is a great way to show you’re confident with your concept.”

Bell was grateful for the opportunities competing in Coastal Venture Competition has given her. She runs her own company and attributes her success to her win.

“Winning this opened doors for me in the community that would not have been possible otherwise,” Bell said.

To apply for the Coastal Venture Competition, students should submit a video explaining their business idea to [email protected] from their Jag Mail, along with their full name and Jag Number. Guidelines for the video submission can be found at the Melton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s page on USA’s website.