Filed under Sports

USA baseball breaks losing streak against ULL

Brendan Donovan attempts to catch a low hit. Photo courtesy of USAJaguars.com

LAFAYETTE, La. – The University of South Alabama baseball team used a four-run fifth inning to defeat Louisiana 7-3 Saturday at Russo Park.

USA (8-7) broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning with the game’s first run, scored four runs in the fifth, and added a run in both the sixth and eighth innings to secure the win.

South Alabama will return to action Sunday when it faces Louisiana at 1 p.m. in the rubber match at Russo Park.

GAME FACTS

• USA pushed across the game’s first run in the top of the fourth inning. Brendan Donovan singled to center field with one out, moved to second on a wild pitch and advanced to third on a single to center field by Wells Davis to put runners at the corners with one out. Carter Perkins followed with an RBI sacrifice bunt to first that scored Donovan for a 1-0 lead.

• The Jags scored four runs in the top of the fifth for a five-run advantage. Michael Sandle led off the inning with a walk, and moved to second on a bunt single by Dylan Hardy. A bunt single up the first base line by Paul Russo loaded the bases with no outs. Donovan delivered a sacrifice fly to left field with one out to allow Sandle to score from third and double the Jaguar lead at 2-0. Wells Davis followed with a threerun home run to right field on a 2-2 pitch from UL righthander Jack Burk to extend the USA lead to 5-0.

• Louisiana loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth on a one-out walk by Monroe Moll, and a pair of two-out walks by Kole McKinnon and Zach LaFleur. Daniel Lahare then reached on a hit by pitch to score Moll and cut the USA lead to 5-1. Gavin Bourgeois followed with an RBI single to center field, and moved to second on a fielding error by Swaggerty which also allowed LaFleur to score and cut the Jaguar lead to 5-3.

• Swaggerty doubled the Jaguar lead at 6-3 in the top of the sixth when he lacked the first pitch he saw from UL righthander Dylan Moore over the right-center field wall for a solo home run, his fourth of the year.