Filed under Showcase, Sports

Men’s basketball head coach Graves fired after five seasons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Graves watching the men’s team play from the sidelines. Photo courtesy of USAJaguars.com

The University of South Alabama announced they will not renew head basketball coach Matthew Graves’ contract, following the 69-62 loss to the Troy University Trojans.The defeat ended a disappointing season (14-18,7-11 SBC) for the Jags, leaving them ranked No. 10 out of the 12 teams in the Sun Belt Conference.

The Jaguars’ road record (1-13) and a six-game losing streak to end the season, ultimately lead to the decision to release Graves.

“I met with Matthew this afternoon and have informed him that I am going to make a change,” athletic director Joel Eardman said in the official press release following the announcement. “I have a great deal of appreciation and respect for Matthew and his service to our university over the past five years and wish him and his staff the best moving forward.”

Graves leaves the Jags with a (65-96) record, with no appearances in the NCAA tournament and failing to put together a single winning season during his five year tenure with the Jaguars. To replace Graves USA will soon conduct an international search to replace Graves as his contract expires. There are no named front runners for the job at this time.

For updates about Jaguar Athletics, and the search for a new men’s basketball coach check out the The Vanguard’s Facebook page @thevanguardusa.