Filed under Column

New pub on Old Shell

Ryan George (right) sings karaoke with a customer

Richard Narramore

Richard Narramore

The arrival of The Dublin Irish Pub and Eatery brings a taste of Irish culture to the University of South Alabama’s surrounding community.

The Dublin is located across from the Mitchell Center on Old Shell Road and USA students now have a pub at their doorstep. The inside of the building is decked out with a bar, booths and tables, low lighting and a stage for customers to belt their hearts out to karaoke.

Ryan George, who co-owns the restaurant with his brother, said he knew he wanted to own a pub for a long time. George said he had his eye on the property since he attended USA in 2006.

“We were looking at it before Wedgies, and the building just had a lot of work that needed to be done to it that we weren’t ready for at the time,” George said.

With influences from Irish culture and popular Irish pubs, such as McGuire’s and O’Daly’s, The Dublin scenery provides a familiar experiences to customers.

Those who have eaten at McGuire’s will notice the dollar bills stapled to posts and walls throughout The Dublin. The dollars have been signed, drawn on or marked up in so form or fashion by customers. George welcomes customers to add to the growing collection.

The Dublin is also decorated with several odds-and-ends items, some even hailing all the from Ireland, according to George. Among the cozy clutter of items is the war chest of Sidney Phillips, a Marine from Mobile. Phillips was an influence and inspiration to the HBO mini-series The Pacific according George.

George said one of his favorite parts of owning The Dublin was getting to flesh it out and bring it to life.

“The ones I like the most are the one that are kind of junked up, like ours,” George said. “It has some kind of form but everything is just brought in and hung. Kinda like the Cracker Barrel of Irish pubs.”

In terms of food, The Dublin’s staples are it’s sheppard pie and hamburgers, according to George. The pub has a hand-written menu, as its items change frequently.

“We might have an Irish cheesecake one week and the next not,” George said. Despite being so close to USA, The Dublin brings in customers of all ages.

George attributed this to a sense of nostalgia for older members of the community.

“People that used to come here when it was Poor Richard’s originally have flashbacks of when they were younger and a lot of them hang out with us on the weekdays and weekends,” George said.

The Dublin’s ability to bridge the gap between old and young may help in between breaks where the college students bring in large flows of money. The Dublin opens at 5:30 p.m. and closes around midnight on weekdays and around 2:00 a.m. on weekends. It is located at 5955 Old Shell Rd.