Filed under News

SGA elections party results

Back to Article
Back to Article

SGA elections party results

(Left to right) Jordan Griffin, Shaun Holloway, Grace Newcombe, Broderick Morrissette, Caleb
Santa Cruz and Breanna Healy at the SGA call-out party.

(Left to right) Jordan Griffin, Shaun Holloway, Grace Newcombe, Broderick Morrissette, Caleb Santa Cruz and Breanna Healy at the SGA call-out party.

Kenyan Carter

Kenyan Carter

Kenyan Carter

The SGA announced the winners of the 2018 SGA elections at the call-out party on Wednesday, April 4.

Grace Newcombe won the bid for the president’s seat.

“I am so excited to be putting my platform to work,” Newcombe said. “I believe my opponent would agree that this has been a tough, hard fought election. But this campaign has shed light on a variety of issues that will be undoubtedly addressed under my administration.” I have so enjoyed meeting ever student along the way and I look forward to everything in between.

Newly elected SGA Treasurer Caleb Santa Cruz, said he was eager to push the boundaries on his new position.

“I think there are some great opportunities and some great things that can be done in the treasurer position.” Cruz said. “I’m ready just to see how this position can be used to it’s fullest extent and what things I can build upon.”

Jordan Griffin won the chief justice position. Griffin explained how he was ready to get to work with his newly elected cabinet.

“This campaign season has been very phenomenal,” Griffin said. “I’m just ready to see what the 2018-19 SGA will accomplish.”

Broderick Morrissette won the race for the attorney general position. Morrissette said a goal in his new position was to help promote student involvement and awareness.

“One of the things I want to do as attorney general is increase political activism on campus and to get students involved with the political process,” Morrissette said.

The new Student-at-Large is Breanna Healy. Healy admitted to feeling anxious awaiting her election results.

“I was going up against a really great competitor, Maniysha Marshall,” Healy said. “So, I was really nervous about it.”

Healy said one of her goals is to promote student involvement on campus.

“I plan to engage students and offer them more leadership opportunities on campus,” Healy said, “I really want to connect students to those opportunities.”

Current SGA President Carl A. Thomas, Jr. commented on the new wave of executive board members.

“I’m very excited about the new leadership and SGA,” Thomas said. “I feel it’s full of potential and fights for the student body and the university as a whole. We have a board full of qualified candidates and I think they will continue the mission of what we’ve done in student government.”

For more information on the new SGA officials, visit them on Facebook @USASGA and on Intsgram at @USA_SGA. For more information about the USA Student Government Association, call (251) 460-7191.