Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Volleyball wins big in Spring tournament

Shelby Guidry

Shelby Guidry

The University of South Alabama volleyball team participated in a spring tournament on April 7 in preparation for the 2018-19 season a er nishing the regular 2017-18 season 17-10 and 12-4 SBC.

In the tournament, the Jags faced o against Louisiana State Univer- sity, University of Alabama, Florida State University and Samford University.

The Jags also played NCAA tour- nament participants the University of Mississippi.
ere is no o cial score record posted. However, the Jags beat Alabama, split the matchup with Samford and fell to FSU and LSU. Head coach Amy Hendrichovsky said the spring tournament was an opportunity to keep the team strong and ready for the tough
upcoming season.

“I thought the spring season went really well,” Hendrichovsky said. “I think this is one of the more challenging schedules I made for the team and I think that’s because last year we excelled through tough teams we played last fall and it helped us get better. Our focus was building our strength and being more physical as a team. We also worked on our mental toughness and control, so overall I think we did well in the fall. We also have a lot of returners coming back in the fall.”

Among those returning includes sophomore middle blocker Kelley Hartman, who received honors from the All American Volleyball Coaches Association and first team All-SBC honors in the 2017 season, and junior outside hitter Kristina Alabastro, who received second team All-SBC honors.

The upcoming season will also include three freshman in whom Hendrichovsky has placed a lot of confodence.

“We have three freshman coming in, and I believe they will all be big contributors for us over the next four years,” Hendrichovsky said. “How much they contribute next year will determine on how hard our upperclassmen work them. I feel all three of them will have the opportunity to grow and learn in their role and not have the pressure to compete right away. If they come in here with the mindset to com- pete, they have every opportunity just like everyone else on our team.”

Returning for her fifth year, setter Parker Harrell is happy about how they played in the spring tourna- ment and is looking forward to the progression they are going to make
in the upcoming season.

“We had a really great spring and ended on a good note,” Harrell said. “We just got back from Ole Miss and competed at a really high level. is spring de nitely chal- lenged us. We play a lot of top-level teams. LSU [and] FSU are both ranked in the top 50 RPI, so having them come to our gym and for us to compete with them was a really good experience for us. We have a lot of leaders on the team and I truly think we have enough talent to go far in conference. We’ve been working on getting better each day, and we’re focusing on the process instead of the result. I think that will be bene cial for us going into the fall.”

To find out more about the Jaguar volleyball team or other Jaguar athletics, visit USAJaguars.com.