Dear Debbie: My boss is a tyrant

Photo courtesy of Pexel images

Photo courtesy of Pexel images

Dear Debbie:
I work as a waitress at a restau- rant and I used to love my job, but my new boss is becoming a tyrant. Over the past few months, my new manager places unrealistic expecta- tions on my coworkers and belittles them in front of other employees. Recently, many employees have quit. After speaking with coworkers, I have come to the conclusion that management is causing the negative environment. I don’t want to leave but I’m afraid things will only get worse. What should I do?
Sincerely,
Should I stay or should I go?

Dear Should I stay or should I go,

It is always tough to transition
between managers. New management often means new management styles which can lead to awkward readjustment periods of strong routines and expectations are already in place. Unfortunately, a management position does not always equate to great leadership skills, either.

If your boss is rude and sarcastic, the best way to handle the situation is to ignore them while it is occurring. People who act this way towards others tend to feed o of reactions.

You can choose to confront them as well if you feel brave enough. For some people this strategy is e ective. It can potentially set healthy boundaries that were not there previously. By choosing to stand your ground you could set your own expectations.
e most important thing you can do to protect your own sanity is avoid taking their hostility personally.

Try spending some time getting to know your new manager and their management style. Whatis their motivation behind having this position? What are their big- gest priorities for the restaurant? How do they prefer to communicate? After you’ve taken the time to observe your manager you will have a better understanding of their triggers, their expectations, and where there is potential for miscommunication among employees. ere’s a good chance your manager may not be aware his/her behavior is in influemcing the work place so negatively.

Managers are people too and experience personal problems that can easily nd their way into the workplace. At the same time, this is not an excuse to let poor behavior continue to occur.

Communication is normally the best way to clear up any confusion or address grievances in the workplace. Make a game plan to approach him/her.

If you reach out and nothing changes, chances are you should cut your losses and nd another job. Managers sometimes treat employees like they’re replaceable. is is partly because it is relatively easy to nd people to work in res- taurants. However, just as there are an abundance of potential employees, there is a plethora of jobs in hospitality. People love to eat out and shop and their needs won’t disappear anytime soon.