Filed under Sports

Worring Film Towers dedication

Concluding a process that began three years ago, the University of South Alabama hosted a dedication ceremony on Friday at the James A. and Frances H. Yance Football Practice Facility for the Worring film towers.

The project included the construction of three permanent towers overseeing the Jaguar football program’s practice fields, one at midfield — in between the artificial turf and grass practice fields — and one behind an end zone on each of the two fields. The towers are used by the football video staff to provide film for coaches to view following practices and scrimmages.

One of the largest single gifts in the history of South Athletics, the film towers were designed and engineered with raw materials provided and construction completed by the Worrings at no cost to the University, a gift worth approximately $250,000. In addition, the donation will provide a substantial annual savings to the football program which will no longer need to rent lifts to use during practices.

The project began in 2015 and was headed by Tom Worring, who unexpectedly passed away in February 2017. His wife, Jada, helped ensure the completion of the towers.

“Words cannot express our appreciation to the Worring family for this generous and important gift,” said Jaguar Director of Athletics Dr. Joel Erdmann. “This process began in 2015 and will make us better far into the future. We remember Tom as a great human being and unwavering Jaguar supporter and miss him daily. Jada’s strength while completing the project in Tom’s absence is reflective of the Worring family values. We all have learned from their example as they are true leaders of Jaguar Nation.”