Filed under Life

Marx Library hosts new exhibits

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marx Library hosts new exhibits

The Marx Library is hosting two new art exhibits, “Mind’s Eye” and “Faces of India,” according to Sharon Tayler of Marx Library Administration.

USA Max Library

USA Max Library

USA Max Library

The Marx Library is hosting two new art exhibits, “Faces of India” and “Mind’s Eye,” according to Sharon Tayler of Marx Library Administration. Both artists are from Mobile, Alabama.

“Mind’s Eye” by Vanessa Quintana, a graduate of the University of South Alabama, will be displayed
on the first-floor gallery of Marx Library from Aug. 1- Oct. 31, according to the official press release.

“I have always been deeply fascinated with eyes,” Quintana said. “The incredible details and colorations, the idea of understanding through different perspectives and everything in that bewildering space between awareness and transcendence all greatly influence my work. The imagery of the third eye, disembodied yet conscience eyeballs, cyclops creatures and deities surrounded by celestial and earthly elements commonly appear in my watercolor and marker illustrations.”

Mary Duffy, assistant director of USA Libraries appreciates Quintana’s talent.

“I love Vanessa Quintana’s work because she incorporates unusual imagery in her pieces and her colors are bright and precise,” Duffy said. “The skill of a graphic artist is readily obvious in her work, but it is lightened with a touch of whimsy.”

Also being displayed is “Faces of India” by Jelena Kryschun. It is a collection of photographs that will hang in the Mary Elizabeth and Charles Bernard Rodning Gallery of Art on the third floor of the Marx Library from Aug. 1- Sept. 30.

“Growing up in Latvia, Jelena Kryschun was only allowed to watch black and white movies from France and India,” an official press release said. “When she was 21, she inherited her father’s vintage KIEV camera and began to take photography seriously.”

According to the press release, Kryschun had the opportunity to visit Varanasi, India, thirty years later.

“Arriving in India, a jet lagged Jelena was shocked by the sights and smells,” said the press release. “Her initial encounter with this strange and vibrant country intensified the sense of surrealness in all that she witnessed. The living conditions of all the people in Varanasi, India were particularly overwhelming. People seemed to stoically embrace life and death, sickness and poverty. She was both repulsed and attracted by the harsh realities of their existence. Her photography study of these individuals resulted in her determination to share with the world images which reveal the uniqueness of Indian culture.”

Kryschun will be at Marx Library on Sept. 11, at 4 p.m. to discuss her travels to India and her photography. The event is free and will be held at the Rodning Gallery. If you have questions, please call the Marx Library at (251) 461-1993. The Marx Library is located at 5901 USA Drive N. The interim hours are Mon-Fri 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.