Filed under News

On-campus stadium faces setback

City Council votes no on proposal for USA’s on-campus stadium despite mayor’s plea

Back to Article
Back to Article

On-campus stadium faces setback

USA will continue to explore its option and remains committed to building an on-campus stadium.

USA Marketing and Communication

USA Marketing and Communication

USA Marketing and Communication

The City of Mobile voted 4-3 against the proposal to provide financial aid to the University of South Alabama in building an on campus stadium on Tuesday, Aug 21.

The proposed deal, if approved by the City Council, would have provided USA with $10 million over 20 years. Levon Manzie, C. J. Small, John Williams and Bess Rich voted against the proposed deal. Fredrick Richardson, Joel Davis and Gina Gregory voted in favor of the deal.

After Tuesday’s decision, Manzie took to Facebook to defend his vote: “At one point I had hoped a compromise was possible but without a clear plan for Ladd, no plan for revitalization for the affected areas, so many questions still unanswered and given the overwhelming opposition from YOU [sic] my constituents, I voted against the proposal this afternoon.”

USA released a statement to employees, students, alumni and supporters and lamenting the decision of the City Council.

“We are disappointed by this setback, but we also are inspired by the outpouring of support from our students, alumni, employees and fans,” USA President Tony Waldrop stated. “Hundreds of you contacted your elected officials and attended City Council meetings to show your support for the stadium project, and we thank you for taking your time to support South.”

City of Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson tweeted “I am disappointed with the Council’s decision on the USA Stadium. It sends a message to the NFL that the City does not support the Senior Bowl. It leaves Ladd Stadium with zero funding to create a facility that meets the needs of the neighborhood and high school football.”

Leading up the Vote, Stimpson was a proponent of the proposed deal between USA and the City of Mobile, citing that it would help cut the costs of maintaing Ladd.

“The Council’s decision leaves the City with no plan to solve the $33 million in maintenance issues. Ladd will now have to compete with every other public facility fighting for funding,” Stimpson tweeted.

USA will continue forward with site preparation and continue to seek funding elsewhere, according to the statement USA released.

“We are committed to building an on-campus stadium for the Jaguars, and we will continue to keep the University community informed when we have additional news to share,” Waldrop stated.