Filed under Life

Sounds of Purple

Raheem DeVaughn will be headlining at
“Sounds of Purple,” a concert to benefit the
Penelope House.

Penelope House

Raheem DeVaughn will be headlining at “Sounds of Purple,” a concert to benefit the Penelope House.

“Don’t Come Easy” singer Raheem DeVaughn will be headlining at “Sounds of Purple,” a concert to benefit the Penelope House.

The concert will be held on Sep. 14 at 7:30 p.m. at the Mobile Saenger Theater.

“The mission of Penelope House is to provide safety, protection, and support to the victims of Domestic Violence and their children through the provision shelter, advocacy, and individual and community education,” Penelope House website states.

The concert is a collaboration between Raheem DeVaughn and Cumulus Broadcasting.

“I have a foundation called ‘LoveLife,’ and we aim to prevent domestic violence through programs, support, education and public awareness,” DeVaughn said. “A top priority of mine is to be a philanthropist and activist.”

DeVaughn, who travels the country performing in concerts to benefit domestic violence shelters, hopes that people will be entertained and become aware of domestic violence by his performance.

“I want to give folks an amazing show moment that inspires them to give more, not just financially but in numerous ways,” DeVaughn said. In addition, DeVaughn is looking forward to returning to Mobile.

“Mobile is a very happening place with energetic fans who are engaging and fun,” DeVaughn said.

Many performers will be opening for DeVaughn.

“Local artists from along the Gulf Coast will be featured as the opening acts for the concert with different genres of music such as hip hop, jazz, Top 40, gospel and blues,” said Amberly Harris, promotions director of Cumulus Broadcasting. “Music of many preferences will be performed during this event.”

Toni Ann Torrans, executive director for the Penelope House, is excited about the concert.

“This event is going to be great because it gets the name out,” said Torrans. “People will hear about it and get help, or people will ask if someone has called for help. That question will save someone’s life. This event is great for helping people.”

To thank DeVaughn for performing, Penelope House has planned a surprise for the singer.

“One thing we’re going to include is Dr. Kathryn Coumanis will present Raheem DeVaughn a copy of her book, ‘You Can’t Beat an Alabama Woman,’ which is about the founding of the Penelope House,” Torrans said.

To find out more about “Sounds of Purple,” go to mobilesaenger. com. Tickets are on sale now for $35. Tickets can be purchased at the Mobile Saenger Theater box office on Mon-Fri from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., by phone at 800-745-3000 or on Ticketmaster.com.

Mobile Saenger Theater is located at 6 South Joachim Street.

To find out more about Penelope House, go to penelopehouse.org.